Worrell is currently seeking a full-time Senior Design Researcher to join our Shanghai team. As a member of the Research + Strategy Department at Worrell, you will be part of a team working to improve lives globally through design. Our work centers itself in human centered design and design thinking to better understand end users and the context that surrounds them. We deliver successful results on projects ranging from developing strategies for medical device companies to serve global communities, creating innovative solutions for pharmaceutical companies to better serve patients and healthcare providers, and observing in clinical spaces at hospitals to discover new ways for products and services to meet the needs of users.
As a Senior Design Researcher, you will be responsible to lead research and strategy projects by orchestrating the project team, objectives, timeline, and deliverables to ensure innovative insights, support our clients’ unique business challenges.
We are looking for someone that is knowledgeable in the human centered design process and is skilled in human driven data capture/ethnographic design research methodologies, so much so that they can teach clients and lead project team members with confidence.
- Translate fuzzy client challenges into clear project objectives and thoughtful research plans.
- Lead the creation of, as well as provide quality oversight on, everything from research protocol materials, to detailed journey maps, to strategic insight presentations.
- Organize and lead engaging workshops with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Lead freeform discussions with everyone from business executives, to doctors, to medical technicians, to patients.
- Confidently and comfortably conduct observational research in patients’ homes, surgical operating rooms, inpatient ward, and/or other medical treatment rooms and recovery homes.
- Craft and tell compelling, human-centered stories that build organizational empathy.
- Provide guidance and structure to early stages of data analysis and synthesis.
- Engage with our client partners to understand their priorities and strategically balance those with the priorities and needs of their end customer.
- Drive design research activities including user interviews, heuristic evaluations, usability studies, field research, or other ethnographic techniques.
- Lead client communication throughout the engagement
- Strongly demonstrate strategic thinking and communication and take a leadership role on our team
- Perform comprehensive analyses of the competitive landscape, stakeholder ecosystem, market forces, and trends shaping an industry
- 5 years of working experience of successfully moving from a fuzzy challenge to a clear set of data-driven, actionable, non-obvious recommendations
- At least 3 years of working experiences in design research for MNC, leading marketing firm, and/or consulting firm. During the past experiences, two years of health-care research projects is a must-have requirement.
- A pro-active independent worker – confident in making critical decisions and answering tough questions from clients
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both written and verbal, presenting credibly and effectively to senior stakeholders in both Mandarin and English
- Skillfully balances thought leadership with humility
- Fieldwork execution experience including customer interviews, surveys, market reports, industry research, and analytical modeling
- Lead research synthesis, craft engaging and digestible reports, and present recommendations to clients
- Sensitive personality, can articulate takeaways and present content with accurate and insightful language/wording.
- Holds project leadership skills including project management
- Skilled at navigating large organizations and experience working on multiple projects with cross-functional teams while challenging the status quo
- Team player with strong leadership skills – you take ownership of your project team’s work and you are willing to help people around you to become even better
- A great attention to detail balanced with an ability to quickly learn and understand a novel space/problem area
- Unyielding curiosity for healthcare, people, products, design, and technology
- Master’s degree in design and research, social study relevant major such as Ethnography, Social Anthropology, Service Design, Business, or medical/healthcare relevant major
- International working experience or education
- An adept knowledge of Microsoft Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite
NICE TO HAVE
- 1 or more years of experience in an agency setting (billable work, client management, budgets, and time management)
- An eye for design and desire to push how we tell dense, data-rich stories in a visual way
- Experience with virtual collaboration/remote research methodologies and tools
- Experience with data analysis / Quant research experience
- Front-end innovation strategy experience that includes consideration of stakeholder experience journeys, product and service portfolios, and business cases
IMPORTANT: Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with “Senior Design Researcher” listed in the subject line.